News Flash Home
The original item was published from 1/4/2018 9:54:00 AM to 1/7/2018 12:00:01 AM.

News Flash

1. Front Page News

Posted on: January 3, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Guidelines to Prevent Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning when using a Generator

Guidelines to Prevent Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning when using a Generator Per the American Red Cross

  Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area.

  Keep these devices outdoors, away from doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.

  Opening doors and windows or using fans will not prevent CO buildup in the home. Although CO can't be seen or smelled, it can rapidly lead to full incapacitation and death. Even if you cannot smell exhaust fumes, you may still be exposed to CO. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air RIGHT AWAY - DO NOT DELAY.

  Install CO alarms in central locations on every level of your home and outside sleeping areas to provide early warning of accumulating carbon monoxide.  Test the batteries frequently and replace when needed.

  If the carbon monoxide alarm sounds, move quickly to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door.  Call for help from the fresh air location and remain there until emergency personnel arrive to assist you.

A single generator can produce a hundred times more of the colorless, odorless gas than a modern car's exhaust.  (NIST) shows that to prevent potentially dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, users may need to keep generators farther from the house than previously believed—perhaps as much as 25 feet.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in 1. Front Page News