Books & Reading
Many of the titles on these lists are available in eBook or audiobook format on RI eZone. When looking at the lists, if you find a title you are interested in, click the "check our catalog" link, and look for the eZone options. Once you check out or reserve a title, you will be able to access it via the Overdrive app on your tablet, eReader, or smart device.
You can also search for titles via the HooplaDigital website or download the app from your app store.
If you need help accessing eBooks or audiobooks, please contact us at 789-1555 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to check out our Teen Booklists for additional lists for Grades 6-8!
- 2022 Librarian Favorites (Printable PDF)
- 2021 Librarian Favorites
- 2020 Librarian Favorites
- 2019 Librarian Favorites
- 2018 Librarian Favorites
- Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage: Fiction with Asian Authors and Characters (Printable PDF)
- Baseball: Picture Books, Fiction and Non-Fiction for All Ages (Printable PDF)
- Celebrate Black Voices, Illustrators, and History: Fiction for Grades 4-6, Picture Books, Non-Fiction
- Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month (Printable PDF)
- Celebrate Muslim Voices: Picture Books, Fiction & Graphic Novels
- Celebrate Native American Heritage Month:
- Folk Tales and Fairy Tales of Many Cultures and Countries (Printable PDF)
- If You Liked Wings of Fire...Try These!
- Kids Who Love the Kitchen: Food Books and Cookbooks (Printable PDF)
- Learn About: Sharks!
- Nature Themed Books(Printable PDF)
- Novels in Verse (Printable PDF)
- Parenting: Reconnecting Families with Nature (Printable PDF)
- Picture Books: Bedtime
- Picture Books: Farm Animals
- Picture Book Fiction & Non-Fiction: Insects, Bugs, and Butterflies
- Picture Books: Things That Go!
- Snowy Day Picture Books
- Soccer (Printable PDF)
- Spanish Language Chapter Books and Graphic Novels
- Spanish Language Picture Books and Easy Readers
- Spooky Books
- Yoga Books for Children(Printable PDF)
Book Awards & Notable Picks
Rhode Island Children's Book Award
RI State Book Award List for grades 3-5.
Check the catalog for 2024 nominees
Rhode Island Middle School Book Award
RI State Book Award List for grades 6-8.
Check the catalog for 2024 nominees.
ALSC Children's Notable Lists
Each year the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) identifies the best of the best in children's books, recordings, and videos.
The Belpre Medal
Presented annually to a Latino/Latina writer and illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth. It is co-sponsored by the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), and REFORMA, the National Association to Promote Library and Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish-Speaking.
Caldecott Medal and Honor Books
Awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
Coretta Scott King Awards
The Coretta Scott King Book Awards are given annually to outstanding African American authors and illustrators of books for children and young adults that demonstrate an appreciation of African American culture and universal human values.
Given annually to the author(s) and illustrator(s) of the most distinguished American book for beginning readers published in English in the United States during the preceding year.