There are two types of industrial users regulated by the Town of South Kingstown pretreatment program - a Significant Industrial User and a Zero Discharge Industrial User.
Significant Industrial User (SIU)
A Significant Industrial User is defined as:
- Any industry subject to categorical standards as defined by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Any industry that discharges a non-domestic wastewater greater or equal to twenty five thousand (25,000) gallons per day (0.025 MGD).
- Any industry that contributes a non-domestic waste stream which makes up five (5) percent or more of the average dry weather hydraulic or organic (BOD, TSS, ect.) capacity of the treatment plant.
- Any industry that has a reasonable potential, in the opinion of the Public Services Director, to adversely affect the wastewater treatment plant (inhibition, pass-through of pollutants, sludge contamination, or endangerment of treatment plant workers).
- Any industry that discharges a wastewater concentration of BOD and/or suspended solids that exceed 250 mg/l.
An industry that is defined as a Significant Industrial User by the pretreatment program is required to apply for an industrial wastewater permit. The annual fee for an industrial permit is $1,000 and permit applications are available in the South Kingstown Town Clerk's Office, 180 High Street, Wakefield, RI.
All Significant Industrial Users are required to self-monitor the pollutants listed in the local limits a minimum of twice a year. These industries are also inspected and monitored at least once a year by the Town. Significant Industrial Users can be categorized as either category 1 or 2 industries depending on the industrial process and makeup of their discharge.
Zero Discharge Industrial Users
The second type of industrial user is a zero discharge user. These are industries that do not discharge a process wastewater to the sewer system yet have the potential to discharge a process wastewater. Zero discharge industries may discharge only sanitary waste to the sewer system. All zero discharge industries must apply for a zero discharge permit. The annual fee for a permit is $100 and permit applications are available in the South Kingstown Town Clerk's Office, 180 High Street, Wakefield, RI.
Zero discharge industries are inspected by the town a minimum of once a year. Zero discharge industries are categorized as category 4 industries.
The above is presented as general informational only. For specific information regarding the Pretreatment Program, click here to view the Wastewater Management Ordinance (Chapter 19, Article II); or call the Town's Pretreatment Coordinator at 788-9771.