The Building Inspection and Zoning office is charged with the administration and enforcement of the Rhode Island State Building Code and the Rhode Island Housing and Maintenance Code (Minimum Housing) and consist of the following duties:
- Administration and enforcement of the State Building Code that consist of the basic code, one and two family code, the plumbing code, mechanical code, electrical code, energy code, fuel gas code and the American National Standard for accessible and usable buildings and facilities for the handicap.
- To act on any question relative to the mode or manner of construction, and the materials to be used in the construction, alteration, repair, demolition, removal, installation of equipment and the location, use, occupancy and maintenance of all buildings and structures.
- Examine all applications for permits to insure they will comply with the Building Code(s) and, if applicable, have been approved by other agencies that have jurisdiction such as, Fire Marshall, Fire Alarm, State Health Department, State Department of Environmental Management Septic System Division, Wetlands, Coastal Resources Management Council, State Elevator Division, Asbestos Abatement, Municipal public water and sanitary sewer approval, State and Town road opening permits for driveways, 911 street number, Planning, Zoning and Historical Zoning Commission approval.
- Make all required inspections as specified in the provisions of the Building Code(s) and shall conduct these inspections from time to time during and upon completion of the work. Conduct inspection(s) at the request of other jurisdictions, Fire, Police, State Health Department and Department of Education.
- Pursuant to the State Housing and Occupancy Code inspections are made of the premises, dwellings, dwelling units, rooming units, structures or parts thereof that are likely to adversely affect the public health including the physical, mental and social wellbeing of persons and families, safety and general welfare.
The Building Inspection and Zoning office is charged with the administration and enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance of the Town of South Kingstown and consist of the following duties:
- To interpret and enforce the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance in the manner and form and with the powers provided in the laws of the State and the Charter and Ordinances of the Town.
- Review and refer all variances, special use permits and appeals to the Zoning Board of Review. Grant or deny applications for modifications.
- To provide guidance and clarification and issue zoning certificate(s) to a requesting party.
- To receive and investigate violations that are alleged to have occurred and to notify in writing the person responsible for such violation, indicating the nature of the violation and order the action necessary to correct it.
- Serve as the Clerk of the Zoning Board of Review.
- Perform such other duties, and exercise such other powers as are authorized by the Ordinance.