The Town Council recognizes the need to expand the community's tax base and to encourage the development and retention of skilled employment opportunities for local residents. To promote a stable and diversified local economy, the Town Council may appoint an Economic Development Committee to serve in an advisory capacity to the Planning Board and the Town Council.
The Economic Development Committee shall pursue the following goals:
1. Encourage the attraction and expansion of industrial and commercial development which is consistent with environmental policies and standards established in the Community Comprehensive Plan and in Town ordinances and regulations;
2. Develop site criteria for new business development and expansion of existing firms; Review specific locations that are most suitable to nonresidential development;
3. Recommend strategies to enhance local conditions favorable to the promotion of responsible economic growth;
4. Identify potential cooperative ventures with the University of Rhode Island to stimulate commercial and industrial development;
5. Research federal and state economic development funding assistance programs and services.
The Economic Development Committee meets regularly on the first Thursday of each month. Staff assistance is provided by the Senior Planner and the Planning Department. There are currently four vacancies.