Waterfront Advisory Commission
The South Kingstown Waterfront Advisory Commission will resume monthly meetings in person as of Thursday, Sept 2nd. Due to the expiration of the governor’s executive order 21-72 that allowed for remote meeting attendance, virtual meetings are no longer permitted. All board members and applicants must attend in person. Members of the public are welcome and encouraged to attend in-person. Members of the public who wish to participate in the meeting must either appear in-person or submit written comments in advance of the meeting.
Standard COVID-19 protocols in town buildings apply to all meeting attendees.Meetings
- 7:00 p.m.
- 1st Thursday of each month
- Neighborhood Guild
325 Columbia Street
Peace Dale, RI 02883
Staff assistance is provided by the Harbormaster / Natural Resource Officer.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Agendas and Minutes
Seven members are appointed to 3-year terms:
- Michael Sherry, Chairman
- Connor Duckworth
- Barry Ennis
- Samuel Grimley
- Barry Gross
- Nathaniel Merrill
- Sarah Smith
The Waterfront Advisory Commission serves as an advisory body to the Town Council on matters concerning the maintenance and development of the Town's property in the coastal zone and the management of recreational and commercial waterfront activities, the preservation of existing shoreline access and the expansion of both physical access and visual and scenic enjoyment of the shoreline by the public.
The major duties and responsibilities of the Waterfront Advisory Commission, as voted on by the Town Council on October 13, 1981, are hereby amended as follows:
(1) Advise and make policy recommendations to the Town Council regarding the management and control of the Town Farm property located on Salt Pond. However, the role of the Commission shall not extend to matters pertaining to the negotiation or renewal of leases of Town property on the municipal waterfront.**
(2) Advise the Town Council regarding the enactment of rules and regulations for the proper care, management, protection and improvement of the Town Farm property on Salt Pond.
(3) Maintain a close working relationship with the Planning Board in terms of development impacts within the coastal areas.
(4) Maintain a working knowledge of the jurisdiction of the Rhode Island Coastal Resources Management Council and its authority under the Coastal Zone Management Act.
(5) Oversee and make recommendations to the Town Council regarding the implementation of the Harbor Management Plan.
(6) Maintain a constant awareness of the importance and value of the coastal regions within the Town for recreational and coastal development and the need for expanded and improved recreational and commercial waterfront facilities as a source of employment and service to Town residents and visitors to the town.
(7) Review and advise the Town Council on all matters dealing with commercial fisheries which directly or indirectly restrict or encumber the public's use of tidal waters and ponds.
(8) Review and make recommendations to the Town Council on all ordinances pertaining to the regulation of use of the tidal waters.
(9) Meet with the Harbormaster on an annual basis to review policies and procedures (October of each year).
(10) Identify and develop areas of public access to the shoreline through the investigation of the legal status of existing and potential public access sites and rights-of-way.
(11) Work with the RI Coastal Resources Council and the Department of Environmental Management to maintain existing facilities, physical conditions, safety, and aesthetic qualities of public access sites in South Kingstown.
(12) Work with State agencies to ensure that public access sites are protected from environmental degradation, overdevelopment, and privatization.
(13) Seek funding assistance for the improvement and expansion of public access sites and related facilities.
(14) Promote the use of volunteers through an "adopt-a-spot" program for maintenance of public sites according to an approved plan and agreement.