Tax Credit Amount
The amount of the program's tax credit is based upon a sliding income scale that is approved by the Town Council annually. Currently, the tax credit is between $534 and $2,472 based on income brackets up to $45,197.
2023 Elderly Exemption Income Levels:
$0 - $23,758
$23,759 – $28,625
$28,626 – $31,870
$31,871 - $36,506
$36,507 - $38,939
$38,940 - $40,214
$40,215 – $41,373
$41,374 – $42,647
$42,648 – $45,197
Qualifications for the Elderly Homeowner's Tax Credit Program for the 2023 tax roll are as follows:
- Applicant or spouse must be 65 years of age or older as of December 31, 2022.
- Applicant must be a full or partial owner of the premises you occupy, and have owned and occupied property in South Kingstown for the past 5 years.
- Applicant's total gross household income must not exceed $45,197 for 2022.
- Proof of income such as W-2 forms, Social Security benefit statement or Form SSA-1099, private pension, dividend and interest statements must be provided annually in order to qualify for benefits.
- For capital gains, applicant must also provide both 2022 tax return and the 1099 provided by the brokerage firm. Applications cannot be accepted without these documents.
- Applicant must be legally domiciled in South Kingstown - Town may inquire if you are registered to vote in South Kingstown and motor vehicles must be registered in South Kingstown. In addition to verify primary and legal residency the Town may request copies of utility bills and federal income tax returns.
- Application deadline is March 15, 2023. Tax credits for applications received by this date will appear on your tax bill. We will continue to accept applications throughout the year and the approved tax credit will be applied to each of your remaining quarterly stubs.
Please contact the Town Assessor's office at (401) 789-9331 ext. 1222 for more information.