The mission of the Town Assessor’s Office is to provide for the orderly valuation of all real estate, motor vehicles, and tangible personal property located in the Town of South Kingstown. The primary objective of the Department is to discover, list, and value all taxable and exempt property, to ensure that assessments are made properly and uniformly, and that the tax roll, when completed, is a true and accurate account of all ratable property in the jurisdiction.
The duties performed by the Town Assessor’s Office include, but are not limited to:
- Discover, list, and value all taxable and exempt real estate, vehicles, and tangible property
- Prepare an annual tax roll detailing a true and accurate account of all ratable property
- Coordinate all activities related to the 3-year property revaluation cycles, with full revaluations every 9 years and two statistical revaluations in the third and sixth years
- Administer state and local exemption and abatement programs
- Maintain records of property ownership for real estate and personal property
- Prepare appeal hearings and serve as a liaison for the Assessment Board of Review
- Process new surveys for parcels and determining assessment values
- Inspection of all building permits
- Coordinate with the Town’s GIS Division to maintain and update the Tax Assessor’s plat maps in hard copy and digital format
- Provide information and reports to the State of Rhode Island Department of Revenue for certification, new legislation “fiscal impact” inquiries as well as general inquiries
- Disseminate information to the general public concerning public records maintained in the Assessor’s Office
Visit the Vision Government Solutions, Inc. website which provides the Town Assessor’s database for South Kingstown.
The Town offers several tax exemption programs to eligible residents. Learn more about all available programs and eligibility requirements here.
View and download PDFs of all forms available from and used by the Town Assessor's Office.
Learn about the taxes on motor vehicles within South Kingstown.
View online tax rolls for real estate, motor vehicles, and tangibles.
Learn about the process for submitting an appeal if you feel your property's assessment is overvalued.
Rhode Island General Laws, §44-5-11.5 and Rhode Island General Laws, §44-5-11.6 require revaluations to be conducted every three years.
Per State Statute 44-5-13.2 completed new construction of real estate, including manufactured homes or dwellings or living units on leased land, in the town of South Kingstown completed after the assessment date of December 31st of any given year, is liable for the payment of municipal taxes from the date the certificate of use and occupancy is issued. Learn more about this fee.
What is tangible personal property? It is business property other than real estate that has value by itself... Learn more here.
Tax Assessor Maps now available online